I hope this latest effort, I can make things simpler than ever.
Before You Begin.
For best results/hackintosh experience. Update to HP Mini 311 BIOS - F.15.
You can install the stock HP F.15 BIOS which can be installed in Windows or icelord's de-whitelisted version (which unlocks the PCI slots) by manually flashing the machine.
Installation Method 1 - DVD/Optical media method
What You Need:
- BootCD-altPS2.iso - burn this onto a blank CD-R. I recommend using the slowest setting to ensure no write errors occur.
- Snow Leoaprd Mac OS X Retail DVD - 10.6 base up to latest, 10.6.4 currently, should work fine. DO NOT use the restore DVD's that are shipped with real Macs (won't work) but get instead the store-bought shrink-wrapped copy from your local Apple Store or Apple Reseller.
- Current Project Release - HPM311DP HF6 Installer.pkg as we speak.
- External USB DVD drive - there HP Mini 311 models with sales packages including a Light Scribe external DVD writer drive.
- Mac OS X 10.6.4 Combo Update
What To Do:
- With the DVD drive connected to the Mini 311 (with enough battery of course or plugged directly to an power outlet), load the BootCD-altPS2 disc you've just burned. As you power on the Mini 311, press F9.
- You will see a boot menu list. Use the arrow keys to choose your DVD drive and press Enter to boot from it.
- When Chameleon has loaded, you'll see list of icons representing drives in your system to boot from. Manually eject the DVD drive and replace BootCD-altPS2 with the Snow Leo Mac OS X Retail DVD. Wait until the drive fully loads the new DVD you've inserted as indicated by the drive's led light and/or until you hear it's finished loading the new DVD (some light mechanical sound and then drive becomes quiet).
- Press F5 to refresh the Chameleon boot menu. Normally, the "Mac OS X Install DVD" entry is added at the far right of the horizontal row of drives available. Use arrow keys to select "Mac OS X Install DVD" and press Enter key.
- Once you've selected the language, go to Utilities > Disk Utility and format the drive with "GUID Partition Table" and "HFS Journaled (Extended)". I also suggest you name the resulting volume "Macintosh HD", just like in real Macs. After the installation, you will get an error message that the "Installation Failed". This is perfectly normal; OS X only told you that cause it's detected that the hard drive is not bootable which is something we'll deal with later.
- Use the same BootCD-altPS2 disc to boot up Mac OS X on your HP Mini 311 for the first time. Just choose the "Macintosh HD" drive icon in the Chameleon boot menu.
- Install the Mac OS X 10.6.4 Combo Updater. Do not restart yet. If you do accidentally hit that "Restart" button, you can always use the BootCD-altPS2 disc to boot up your Mini again.
- Run the HPM311DP HF6 Installer.pkg to set up EFI on the hard disk, thus letting the Mini 311 boot on its own without the need for the BootCD-altPS2 disc. Restart the computer for changes to be applied.
Congratulations on your Mini MacBook 311!
Other Little Tweaks.
- Disable "Use secure virtual memory". System Preferences > Security > General tab > uncheck "Use secure virtual memory". It would require restarting for the change to be fully applied. We do this to help ensure Sleep function has no problems on our hackintosh.
image from macworld.com
- Replace stock WiFi with a Snow Leopard compatible card - For what is a netbook without wireless connectivity, right? Unfortunately, the HP Mini 311's stock wireless module does NOT work under Snow Leopard. Hit the links below for further details:
- Replacing the 311's WiFi card. Ideally, we keep the stock card for Bluetooth functionality.
- List of Snow Leopard Compatible WiFi modules and other details on the HP Mini 311 Darwin Project.