23 October 2009

Leo or Snow Leo?

I've been living with Snow Leopard for almost 2 months now and coming from 4 months of Leopard 10.5 (ah, those were good times), how do I find its "fairer" brother?


Aside from the GUI stuff - Dock Exposé, QuickTime X, revamped Icon View with support upto to 512 pixels (you can play a video, flip through a document without opening an app), there are some things that make a hackintosher's life easier in Snow Leo. So far, I've found 2 which have obviously delighted me; I'm blogging them.



1) Screen Capture stores my, well, screen caps with specific names so I'm not left with a bunch of images whose filenames all start with "Picture" - there's a timestamp which helps identify which is which; you may even no longer need to rename them.


2) Ethernet now works as it should! -  Before, I never could just plug and play; had to make sure the cable is plugged in and the broadband receiver on before I boot up the Mini or it just won't recognize that there was actually an internet connection. And also once, the Mini sleeps, the connection is cut and no amount of "Network Diagnostics" trick would restore it. Now I can just plug in the line as I'm already logged into my account, fire up Safari (who'll say I'm not connected to the net but will nonetheless fetch the latest version of my homepage from the web after a second or two) and I'm surfing the web. Nice.


I know I'm blessed with a wonderfully OS X compatible Yukon Marvell Gigabit ethernet all thanks to the Mini 1001TU of course, which runs natively on Snow Leo (no need for LAN9500.kext - nope, I don't have it loaded in my /Extra/Extensions folder) but this one thing stumps me when I check in System Profiler:



Should it really show "en1"? I thought I read somewhere that this exact "en1" is tantamount to issues with connectivity; i.e. "self-assigned IP and may not be able to connect"

1 comment:

ovelhadog said...

Sticker your mac...

http://ovelhadog.blogspot.com/