14 October 2009

HP Mini 311: New “It” Guy Among HP Mini Hackintoshes

The minute his mug shots came abound the net, we've been smitten by him.


We've drooled at him.


Fantasized about him.


Wondered which method would work on him: Vanilla/Retail or hacked distro? Leopard or Snow Leopard?


hpmini311-OSX




Okay, so that sentence before this one relieves you who are reading this post. Well, Mr. HP Mini 311 is good hackintosh candidate.


Some dudes (or dudettes) have been lucky enough to get their paws on this promising HP Mini version and have gotten OS X installed:


InsanelyMac


My HPMini


It certainly appears that the much coveted graphics prowess which Ion bundle (Atom N280 + ION LE) promises to deliver works fine under OS X:
from superviza @ insanelymac
Wooo Hooo !!!
I got 1366 x 768 working !!! (looks amazing)
I used osx86 tools to insert a custom EFI string....
Let me know how you go...
The WiFi card is reportedly the same Broadcom 4315 which we love because the hacked IO80211Family.kext supports that module.


Ok, so that's about 3 components down (procie, video, wlan) but there remain a lot more stuff like audio, webcam, and that incorrigible internal mic.


On a personal note, this news is definitely good news for me. I adore the make and finish of HP netbooks and since MacBook Wind is at home, sitting at my "mini office" desk as it torrents away while I'm here about 100 plus kilometers away from it, I'll say it:


MacBook Mini feels way more solid in my hands than MacBook Wind and I've never felt it would suddenly fall apart in my own hands as I've more than once felt the latter would. ;)


So if push comes to shove and circumstances leave me no choice but to purchase a new netbook, either to satisfy a need or perhaps a want, I hope it's still an HP.


But then again, if it ain't hackintoshable. . .oh well.

No comments: