06 July 2010 UPDATE: This guide is deprecated as we are now in 10.6.4. This post still exists only for archiving purposes. Please use the updatedHF5RC3 in the mean time.
So scratch everything we did before (to those of you who updated fine like I did, you may forget this post - well maybe except for the new package installer that takes care of VoodooHDA installation as well).
What you need: (A working Mac OS X 10.6.2 install on an HP Mini 311 is assumed - mais ouais, bien sûr!)
1) Mac OS X 10.6.3 Combo Updater from Apple's site.
2) HPM311DP_HF5RC3.pkg - I renamed this installer repacked by me to continue (and NOT undermine) the legacy that is left of the HP Mini 311 Darwin Project.
In case things don't go well after the reboot - that said, you create this tool BEFORE running the 10.6.3 Update, or if went ahead already, at least before restarting your machine.
3) HF4 USB Booter - which you make by installing *HP Mini 311 USB Install Package w/ HF4 on to a USB flashdrive that you know and have tested to boot your 311 fine.
NOTE! Make sure you install the package onto the USB flashdrive and NOT your internal hard drive. The pkg defaults to your current OS X install (internal) disk which you would want to change very much.
I hope these screenshots are self-explanatory:
In short, don't just click absentmindedly as you, I, we all normally would but please do read this time, paying attention to details - specially that pertaining to the install location.
What to do:1) Run the Mac OS X 10.6.3 Combo Update. DO NOT RESTART yet.
2) Install the HPM311DP_HF5.pkg. DO NOT RESTART yet.
3) Check that you have prepared the "HF4 USB Booter" as designated above. And YES, I'm including this in the "What to do" list of steps just so we get the point nice and clear. :D
4) Restart your machine with -f flag. (Press F8 as Chameleon loads and then use arrow down key to choose "-f Ignore boot caches" in the drop down menu or just enter -f. And then press Enter to proceed)
What was your result?
One of the ff. may have happened to you:
A) Your Mini 311 restarted just fine but your trackpad isn't working. => No worries, it's just that ApplePS2Controller doesn't really load in -f mode. Also beats the hell out of me why it behaves likes that. Just restart your machine, but this time, just let it do it's own thing and you should be fine.
B) Your Mini 311 is experiencing a "boot loop" problem. => You created that "HF4 USB Booter" right? Right??
If you didn't against all my insistence for you to do so, but you can get to another hackintosh or Mac and create one, now, while it isn't too late and proceed to B.1.
Or if you can't get to another hackintosh or Mac (nope, a PC won't do cause I don't want us to go as far as there), please jump to C.
B.1) Use "HF4 USB Booter" to boot your Mini 31. => Press F9 as you turn on the machine, choose your flashdrive, press Enter, and choose your internal hard drive, press Enter.
Chameleon (Cham2NBI - by Meklort).
=> For those of you who hate Terminal commands:
(1) Unzip "Cham2NBI" to your main "/" directory, authorize as needed
(If Cham2NBI is not where it should be, the applet won't proceed with reinstalling Cham)and then
(2) run this applet I created for you "Reinstall Cham".
(this installs the same Cham as in HF4 - the one that auto-patches the mach_kernel)
=> For those who want to reinstall manually, I assume you know what to do :DC) Until such time that you can get to working hackintosh or Mac and create that "HF4 USB Booter" I was telling you to make, then goodbye; we part ways here. I hope you enjoy a good life :D
*I think this was created by Mosslack? Or was it Mowglibook? Or I don't remember anymore - one of the greatest human beings who walked this earth, at least for us HP Mini 311 hackintoshers ;) )