21 April 2010

Hackintosh Hybrids : No and No (I repeat: NO)

www.odec.ca
Participating in the OSx86 community (yes, I'd like to think/fool myself that what I'm doing and at the level of experience I have, can be classified as "participating") means providing support free technical support for the general unknown masses who are in the same boat as you are: you have the same PC model and Mac OS X version installed.

That "technical support" is not really comprehensive for you yourself may have been just reporting on what works for you and what doesn't, hence the limit. This is what I do. I tinker with my system in the hopes of improving my own user experience and when I get to what works, I post it on this blog. For now, I prefer EFI boot setups. It's a personal preference really and it works for me and so that's what I write about. That's what readers get on this blog.

But then given that the OSx86 is a very very very vast parallel universe of sorts, EFI boot is not the only way to hackintosh.

Then there comes the tragedy: people have a tendency to just slop this and that on their systems to get something working without so much as a thought.

And I know that because I acted exactly that way once upon a time in my early noob days. It's a painful experience and I've learned from it. Mixing boot methods, specifically EFI and NetbookBootmaker, etc. is not a good thing.

Apart from the fact that it could screw my setup pretty bad, I was left unable to determine what exactly went wrong because of the spaghetti mess that resulted - I didn't know precisely what that "ramdisk" or "untitled" does or what it loads, or when it loads or where it loads. I wasn't willing to be my own personal tech support provider at that time but I had to have a functional machine so in the end, I had to wipe-out, reinstall just to get to the root of that "toothache".

Hackintosh lesson: Hybrid cars are cool, yes, but hackintosh hybrids are a BIG NO NO.

If you choose a specific boot method, then go with that method all the way and save yourself from trouble. :)

2 comments:

jccw said...

A question: given your experience, do you still think EFI was the right way to go? Initially it made sense to me, but it seems to be just as hard as other ways to go from one OS version to the next, and it's a little harder to do backup and recovery because of the extra volume that needs to be dealt with. I've got a working EFI implementation, and I intend to stick with it, but I'm curious.

LeMaurien19 said...

^I like EFI currently because it's very transparent - it allows me more control over what goes in my system.

It isn't noob friendly so it isn't easy. Yes it would require you to understand OSx86 - not all, but the fundamentals should do. And in turn, you get to troubleshoot AND resolve your own issues instead of staying at the mercy of developers of other easier methods to resolve your issues with their software.

Just my two cents.