Well, yes but this one's different in that it installs to root that is - "/" - instead of the hidden EFI partition. Plus this one's more of DIY. But it's very very simple and you'll be up and running in no time. Also, it is this method that the creator of those beloved little "Retail Packs" (MowgliBook) uses on his own setup. The Retail Packs are in fact tested by him and if we use the same method as the one used in testing, then perhaps we can lessen the issues encountered or simplify troubleshooting at the least by having a uniform install method.
What You Need:
1. Latest Retail Pack - MowgliBook's mediafire folder for HP Mini 311
2. Lizard application - original website source is http://www.darwinx86.net/applications/utilitaires-osx86/176-lizard-application-pour-chameleon
3. Kext Utility - created by cVad
Assuming that you have already installed Mac OS Snow Leopard;
What To Do:
1. Unzip the Retail Pack and copy the entire folder named "Extra" to your main volume. You can simply do a drag and drop.
2. Launch Lizard app by double clicking on it. In the tab called "Install and Update", in the "Select Device", choose your main installation volume by clicking it once to highlight it. Then click in "Select Chameleon (bin) folder", click on the "Select folder" button.
3. A dialogue sheet will roll out where you can navigate to point to the correct folder. Choose Mini 311 Retail Pack 1.0 > Bootloader. Click on "Open"
IMPORTANT! It is crucial that you do NOT go deeper within the Bootloader folder
4. You'll know you did the right thing when you have checks and green radio buttons in a new section under "Bootloader files". Click on "Install Chameleon" button.
5. Follow the on screen prompts, clicking on "Install" and then "OK" to finish installing the bootloader.
6. Now to install system kexts; open Mini 311 Retail Pack 1.0 > kexts folder. Open a new Finder window (Command + Shift + G) to /System/Library/Extensions/. Drag and drop VodooHDA.kext and FakeSMC.kext to /Ssystem/Library/Extensions.
7. Launch Kext Utility to fix the permissions and rebuild the caches. The app will first ask for your password and once you've typed it in and pressed OK, it will automatically carry out the tasks.
EDIT: You can also just drag and drop the two kexts to the Kext Utility icon - if you have it sitting on your Dock.
8. Now for the preference panes (.prefPanes) files that are needed. Mini 311 Retail Pack 1.0 > PrefPane:
For VoodooHDA.prefPane, just click on the file twice to install. If it asks you an option, choose "Install for this current user only"
For Trackpad.prefPane, things are a bit more complicated. So here's a separate, more detailed set of instructions:
- Go to /Users/(your user)/Library/Caches and delete the following 2 files: com.apple.preferencepanes.searchindexcache and com.apple.preferencepanes.cache
- Now back in Mini 311 Retail Pack 1.0 > PrefPane; copy Trackpad.prefPane to /System/Library/PreferencePanes. Replace the existing Trackpad.prefPane
9. Restart your computer. During the first restart, I suggest using -v -f just to be sure that everything gets loaded nice and smooth.
Actually, if you really want to be sure, why not run Disk Permissions after step 9. :D
Voilà, you're done. Enjoy!
Note: With this setup, you can delete stuff in EFI partition already (if you originally began with HP311DP using that boot method). Also notice that when you check your root directory, you'll see that the boot file now resides there together with the Extra folder and the usual Mac OS X system files :D