03 August 2009

Snow Kitty Needs Potty Training

Snow Leopard may be a little wild for MacBook Mini but there's a little ray of hope; at least I could make it boot.


I still followed the same instructions from msiwind.net and osxfujilives but with a "twist" so they say; that is, I had to use the com.apple.Boot.plist from my existing 10.5.7 installation. Plus I did the DSDT patching using the HP Mini (Mac OS X side of course) and just pointed DSDT Patcher to my external HDD from where I was gonna boot Snowy.

First boot:
the Mini would hang up. So I decided to set up root first before anything else as I was suspecting there was a problem with the Set Up Assistant. Basically, I did the "boot loop fix".

And then this is where I get stuck: Login screen. I couldn't get the keyboard and trackpad working so I plugged in my external keyboard and mouse but they don't work either with VoodooPS2Controller. Then insanelymac pointed out a new set of PS2Controller kexts which I tried. It worked - I could type in "root" and my root password alright with the Mini's own keyboard and trackpad worked fine.

However, it's very erratic as sometimes keyboard and trackpad would work and sometimes they don't. I made an image of the Snow Leopard installation from my external HDD and restored it to the other partition on my MacBook Mini but still the same erratic response.

So I'm not gonna make a "formal" post on how to get Snow Leopard running on the Mini. Also, from the discussions going on in various Snow Leopard OSx86 threads, there's still a lot of issues going on with this kitty - it's Beta software, what do we expect anyhow?

For now, I think I'd be comforted with knowing that Snow Leopard is possible to be run on my MacBook Mini. Besides, it's now August which means there's only 4 weeks to wait till September when Apple finally releases it. Until then, I'll busy myself with the less wild and much tamer Leopard that I've come to know and love dearly. . .and perhaps learn those cutesy moves from "Nobody" by Wonder Girls that the world's going  gaga over hahaha.

Oh and I forgot  to mention he's not quite as happy now that the other partition contains Win XP (again) - HP released a new bios for the Mini, Bios F.14 and I had to make the update. :D

No comments: